Here’s a version of a Pizzelle which I make without using anise flavoring. It looks beautiful for the holiday season since they are snowflake shaped. You can dust them with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or coat them in some chocolate for a more decadent look. This pizzelle has an orange amaretto flavor. (NOTE: You will need a pizzelle maker for this)
Makes 2-3 dozen depending on the size of the pizzelle maker.
The vegetable oil will make them thin and crisp.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt, ½ tsp nutmeg , ½ tsp cinnamon, ½ cardamom
2 capfuls orange extract
¼ cup or 2 tbsp of Italian or your favorite liqueur ( I used amaretto liqueur)
3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and oil.
- Add the beaten eggs, salt, cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon and Italian liqueur. Mix well.
- Gradually stir in the flour until the mixture is smooth. It will be very soft and sticky. Dough is about the consistency of cookie dough.
- Preheat the pizzelle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Take a scoop of dough the size of a walnut and roll between your hands to form a ball or use a tablespoon to drop it onto the pizzelle maker.
- Close and clamp the lid and cook until golden brown, about 43-45 seconds.
- Transfer pizzelles to a plate with powdered sugar and cover one side. Shake off excess powdered sugar.
- Otherwise, leave pizzelles on a dry clean counter for about a couple of minutes and they will become crisp with time.
- Enjoy them plain or with some topping such as sprinkled powdered sugar or dipped in chocolate.
2 avocados peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
1 large tomato diced fine
1 large red onion diced fine
½ bunch of cilantro
1 fresh lime squeezed, 1 fresh lemon squeezed (if not substitute 2 Tbsp lime juice and 1 Tbsp lemon juice)
1 or ½ jalapeno pepper diced and seeded
½ tsp salt or to taste
1 garlic clove minced or 1 tsp of garlic paste
Get your guacamole topping ready to dip or eat with some fajitas. Cut and peel away the avocado into one inch chunks and place in bowl. Mash it to the consistency you want. Some like it chunky. Add to it the juice of the lemon and limes. Add the minced garlic, tomato, jalapeno, onions, salt, and cilantro to this and mix well. If you have some chipotle peppers you may add to the above mixture to get a nice smoky flavor and more spicy flavor. ENJOY!